African Fashion Development and Empowerment Centre (AFDEC) is now accepting nominations to the second edition of the “GIVE HER A PUSH!” women empowerment program. An annual Fellowship program that seeks to identify, empower and promote 100 outstandingly creative female fashion entrepreneurs; who are local Tailors or Fashion designers in Nigeria.
The program has a unique goal of equipping female owned fashion businesses with the necessary support to ensure their business advancement, sustainability and success.
AFDEC is a social enterprise that is committed to empowering and building the capacity of under privileged women and young girls who are operating in the African fashion space.
With a distinctive vision to reduce poverty through local creativity, AFDEC seeks to improve the business of fashion in Africa and develop a paradigm shift that provides excellent, creative and transformational leaders who will deliver prompt services and not compromise excellence and standards.
The qualified nominees in all categories will benefit from 3 stages of the program:
Stage 1: Nomination: individuals of the general public are encouraged to nominate women or young girls who are exceptionally creative but need support to grow their small fashion businesses.
Stage 2: Training and Mentoring: 3 days residential Fashion Business Management training for shortlisted nominees, short term Internships, plus one year one-on-one mentoring.
Stage 3: Awards/Local Exhibitions and Expo: exceptional nominees will be given recognition awards while collaborating with our partners in commemorating the Global Entrepreneurship Week 2017
Please note: Please note: Short-listed nominees will be called for an interview and if selected will be required to pay N25,000 as their counterpart fee (Limited scholarships available)
|Receiving Application||July 20th 2016||August 20th 2016|
|Screening of Applications||August 10th 2016||August 25th 2016|
|Interview of Shortlisted Candidates||August 25th||August 26th|
|Residential Training||Shortlisted Candidates will be notified||Shortlisted Candidates will be notified|
|Mentoring||September 1st 2016||31st August 2017|
|Awards and Exhibition||Shortlisted Candidates will be notified||Shortlisted Candidates will be notified|
- Be a Nigerian Female, not more than 35 years of age
- Be a Fashion designer or Tailor running her own micro/small fashion business in Nigeria.
- Have a minimum of 2 years experience running a fashion business, which must employ between 1- 9 persons
- Have a minimum of first school leaving certificate (e.g WAEC,SSCE etc)
- Be creative, innovative brave and entrepreneurial
- Be willing to commit her time and talent to grow her fashion business to international standards
- Successful participant will receive AFDEC business recognition certificate which will serve as an endorsement to enhance and facilitate business relations amongst other African members.
- Extensive and Practical Fashion Business Management trainings
- Coaching and mentoring by renowned local and international Fashion entrepreneurs
- Funding Opportunity for shortlisted nominees
- Fashion entrepreneurs will be enlisted on AFDEC web business campaign and social media promotion services
- Internship opportunities
- Outstanding Participants will be Certified to showcase their products via AFDEC annual fashion exhibition
- AFDEC will create linkage opportunities to participants, to promote local and international business expansion
- Peer to Peer learning, sharing and networking among other fashion entrepreneurs in the cohort as well as experienced AFDEC Alumni’s on the AFDEC Network.
- Dedicated support from the AFDEC Network, Plus AFDEC’s Indigenous and international partners.
Do you know a local Tailor or Fashion Designer that fits this description and would benefit from the opportunities listed above?
Kindly give her Push to Greatness by nominating her using the link below.
Note that the link you have with you can also take you to same page.
Nomination closes August 20th 2016.